Sunday, December 29, 2013

Top 13 of 2013!

I read 111 books this year. These are the best ones out of the bunch!

1.  Please Ignore Vera Dietz


This novel was my introduction to A.S. King and it definitely left an impression on me. I read three of her novels in a matter of weeks and I don't regret a second of it. If you are not familiar with A.S. King, I highly recommend her because she is a magnificent storyteller! 

2.  Fangirl


Like everyone else, I loved Eleanor & Park and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with it, though. I grew so attached to the characters that I couldn't get them out of my head for weeks! I can relate to Cath in so many levels that the story became very personal to me. And don't get me started on Levi! I just adore him so much that I'm currently stalking every Starbucks in the hopes of snatching a guy just like him. ;) 

Oh, and if you've read it, please tell me that I'm not the only one who has read chapter thirty-one several times.

3.  Out of the Easy


Beautiful. Profound. Touching. I can't say anything bad about this novel. I knew from the very first chapter that this story was special. The setting, the plot, the characters...it all comes together to create one phenomenal book. 

4.  Just One Day/ Just One Year


Traveling + First Love = A Winner in My Book. This is a coming of age story that takes us on a journey to the most beautiful places in the world and introduces us to one of the most realistic couples I've ever read in a YA contemporary novel. 

5.  Easy


I dived into this novel not knowing what to expect. To say that it was a pleasant surprise doesn't do it justice. It is such a beautiful and realistic love story centered around a very delicate subject. It is both powerful and romantic. As soon as I put it down I wanted to read it again, which is a sign that this novel is fantastic. 

6.  Legend Trilogy

 

I'm not going to lie: I almost didn't read this trilogy. I only picked it up because I didn't have anything to read. Awful, I know. This is heart-pounding perfection. It has action, romance, great world-building, an intense plot, amazing & flawed characters, and it is wonderfully written. What else could you want? 

7.  The Sea of Tranquility


This is another one that left me shocked at how much I enjoyed it. The relationship in this one is so complicated that it will take you on an intense roller-coaster ride.  It has so many layers that--once they come together--you'll be left exhausted but wanting more. 

8.  Never Fade


While I enjoyed The Darkest Minds, I didn't love it as much as I loved its sequel. I don't know how Alexandra Bracken does it but she makes sure you are so invested in the story that you curse, sweat, cry, laugh, and just about have a heart attack. This series is definitely worth the hype.

9. The Bone Season


This beauty is expected to be a seven book series, which is incredibly awesome. The story is so intricate that you might get a headache from trying to keep everything straight but it is so worth it.  I barely slept while reading this because I didn't want to put it down. It is THAT good. 

10. Daughter of Smoke & Bone / Days of Blood & Starlight


Let's get this out of the way: the covers are gorgeous. I could look at them for days. The story totally merits the beautiful presentation. It comes alive in your head in such a unique way that I fell in love with Laini Taylor's writing. It is so freaking beautiful! I can't get over how she puts words together to create the most magical sentences I've ever read.

11. These Broken Stars


Fun. That's how I would describe this novel. Also, kind of creepy. You don't know what's going on for the majority of the story but that alone makes it great! I loved the characters and the writing is phenomenal. I can't wait to read more stories set in this world. 

12. Where She Went


I liked If I Stay but I loved Where She Went. Only a fantastic novel can break my heart the way this one did. Both novels are so emotionally charged that all you'll want to do afterwards is have a party for one with your favorite ice cream and a huge box of tissues. 

13. Help for the Haunted


I saved the 13th spot for this one on purpose. This is one is the only "scary" book I read in 2013 but it was a good one. I was so terrified of it that I made sure I didn't read it at night. It is super creepy but also really enjoyable. 

---

Which books made your list? I would love recommendations for next year as well! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...