Monday, August 11, 2014

LGBTQ Book Recommendations!

After the lovely emily m. danforth wrote this post about the unfair censorship of the Blue Hen Reading List for Summer 2014, it got me thinking. I was introduced to the LGBTQ literary world by Freakboy, a novel that won me over instantly. So, since a book shouldn't be censored just because it contains a lesbian teen, I thought I would share with you some of my favorite novels in this genre.



1. Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark


This is the book that started it all. It is lyrical, beautiful, touching, and it opened up my eyes to a whole new world.  I wrote a review of it a couple of months ago. You can read it here if you want to know more about it!







2. The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danforth


This one is the only one in the list that I haven't read. However,  I really admire Danforth and her fight against censorship.  Based on the reviews I've read about this one, I am sure I'll love it. I can't wait to read it and share my thoughts with you!






3. Great by Sara Benincasa


Great is a retelling of one of my favorite classics: The Great Gatsby. What makes this novel unique is the fact that Gatsby is a girl! Also, the story is unique, captivating, and short enough that you can devour it in a day.







4. Ask the Passengers by A.S. King


I love A.S. King and Ask the Passengers is one of my favorite novels of all time. Our main character is dating a girl and she's keeping it a secret. This novel is raw and beautifully written. If you haven't read it already, please do yourself a favor and buy it!






5. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz


I think I've been talking about this novel nonstop since I read it (here and here) but it really is THAT good! Apparently the author is working on a companion novel told through Dante's point of view. I'm tempted to sleep until that novel is released because I can't wait to get my hands all over it.




6. More Than This by Patrick Ness


I love when novels don't make a big deal about a character's sexuality. More Than This is the perfect example of this. He's gay and that's that. Even though we get glimpses of the relationship and the issues that developed because of it, his sexuality is not necessarily the focus of the entire book and I really appreciate this.





If you have any recommendations, please send them my way!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...