Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Summer Reading List - Part Two!

I managed to read about forty books last summer. This summer, I want to read a lot more in order to shrink my TBR pile so I can A) buy more books and B) feel better about myself. I talked about the series I want to read in the next three months so now I want to tell you about some of the standalone novels I own but haven't read!






1. On the Fence by Kasie West: I love Kasie West. Fine, I've only read one of her books (The Distance Between Us) but it was really good! This one sounds like the perfect summer book. "She's a tomboy. He's the boy next door…" It screams summer, people! I've been trying really hard to ignore this ARC because it doesn't come out until July but I might have to read it really soon. Like, next week soon.

2. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson: I feel like everyone has read this book but me. In case your haven't either, Tiger Lily is a Peter Pan retelling. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think it is told through Tinker Bell's point of view. Sounds amazing, doesn't it? I'm not too familiar with the original story but I'm really excited to read this book.

3. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart: I bought this book months ago and I pretty much ignored its existence the minute I took it home. I read We Were Liars a few weeks ago and realized that both novels are by the same author. I'll post a review of We Were Liars next week but to summarize my feelings about it: I FREAKING LOVED IT.  I feel like I have to read everything ever written by E. Lockhart so I plan to start with this one.

4. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein: As far as I know, this one isn't technically a standalone. It has a companion novel out there in the world. However, since I'm assuming both stories are not connected (Are they? I don't want to spoil CNV by checking out Rose Under Fire) I'm going to think of it as a standalone. This one is a WWII novel about a British secret agent captured in Nazi-occupied France. My expectations are really high so I'm a little nervous to finally read it!

5. Dracula by Bram Stoker: Confession: I started reading Dracula in high school but I never finished it. Don't get me wrong. I loved it. My English teacher assigned it senior year but we ran out of time and didn't get to the end. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't pick it up after I graduated but I'm doing it now!

6. The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass 0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas: This one is not a standalone but I'm breaking the rules! :) The Assassin's Blade is a collection of novellas tied to the Throne of Glass series about Celaena Sardothien's missions. The original plan was to read this slowly so I wouldn't go crazy waiting for Heir of Fire to come out BUT I'm doing an early review of the third book of the series for Cuddlebuggery so I need to read this one sooner than expected.

7. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson: Honestly, this book sounds insane. I'm just going to let you read the synopsis instead of describing it. Did you read it? Yes? Now, said it with me: WHAT IN THE WORLD? I don't know why I want to read it. I'm not even sure why I bought it. I do know that an interesting review and a couple of crazy tweets will come out of it.

8. The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen: I have a couple of Sarah Dessen books I want to read in the next few weeks. It just doesn't feel like summer without a Sarah Dessen novel. The Moon and More is first up because I'm going to review for Cuddlebuggery in about two weeks. Just Listen and This Lullaby are also part of my own-haven't-read pile. Which one should I read next?

9. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz: I started reading this one today. This book has won so many awards that I was afraid to read it. My expectations were really high and I really thought that I wasn't going to enjoy it. I'm about 130 pages in but I can already tell you that Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe is one of my favorite books of all time. It might even crack the Top 5. I'll let you know once I'm done. :)

----

I'll also be rereading The Fault in Our Stars and If I Stay very soon! I've been staying away from TFiOS because I want to reread it a week or two before the movie comes out. It has taken a lot of self-control to see it (I own multiple copies so see them) every day, watch that trailer, and not read it. I read If I Stay late last year but I might have time to reread it before seeing the movie since it isn't very long.

Have you read any of the books in My Pile of Shame? And are you planning on seeing The Fault in Our Stars and/or If I Stay?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...