Sunday, March 30, 2014

Flash Reviews - March Edition!



What I liked about it: Is everything a little bit too vague? To be honest, I was a little skeptical about this one. I've been eyeing it for a long time but it wasn't until I watched the movie trailer (which, by the way, is nothing like the book) that I finally caved in and purchased the book. I am ashamed that it took me this long to get to it. The Giver is probably one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. The world, the characters, and the story itself are exquisite.

What I didn't like about it: It is so short! I wanted it to last forever. 

Similar toI kept think of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho as I read it. They are not similar at all but they both made me step back from the text and think.  



What I liked about it:  I wasn't sure what the story was about when I picked it up but I purchased it based on some reviews I read on Goodreads. I'm really happy I took a copy of this book home with me. The writing is stunning and the concept is really unique.  I really enjoyed the complexity of all of the characters and the way the story developed. 

What I didn't like about it: I'm not sure how I feel about the story itself. Everything about this novel is so disturbing but I can't stop thinking about it. I've never felt this confused after finishing a novel so I'm waiting until I read the rest of the series to figure out how I really feel about it. 

Similar to: This novel is really dark and very uncomfortable to read. It might be a little similar in tone to the Mara Dyer series but there is nothing quite like this series. 


What I liked about it: I loved this novel so much. It is so unique and the entire book is so beautifully executed. The illustrations are stunning and add such a cool feel to the story. The writing is like nothing I've ever read before. It flows really nicely and it has a lot of character. Overall, I adored the story and the way it developed. And I read it in one sitting so that should tell you how much I really enjoyed it!

What I didn't like about it: There are way too many movie references throughout the novel. While I enjoyed them a lot, I really didn't understand them all and that bothered me. I felt like I was missing a piece of the puzzle.

Similar to: If you like anything by A.S. King, you'll like this one.






Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens


What I liked about it:  I really enjoyed this debut novel. I read it really quickly and it kept me interested until the very end. I loved the way the relationship between Bodee and Alexi developed. It was gradual (which is rare in YA Contemporary Fiction), thus very realistic and refreshing. The way Alexi deals with her issues is both heartbreaking and eye opening to those with similar problems. I really love the message this beautiful novel sends to teens everywhere.  

What I didn't like about it: The ending bothered me a little bit. I didn't feel like it wrapped up Alexi's story very well. I can't say much without giving it away but I do think that it lacked a little compared to the rest of the story.

Similar toDon't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay.




The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa


What I liked about it:  This is EPIC. I don't even know where to start. The main character is such a badass and I loved her for it. The world (like in any other Julie Kagawa novel) is intricate and beautifully written. Also, do not fear! There are no glittery vampires or lovesick heroines. Kagawa makes sure that the vampires are depicted as monsters and she doesn't sugarcoat anything. Thank you for that, Julie Kagawa. 

What I didn't like about it: I loved everything, okay? EVERYTHING. I loved it so much that I can't stop using capital letters in this review. Sorry. 

Similar to: Other epic books. You know, good books. 








You can see the ratings I assigned to these books in my Goodreads page. Have you read any of these titles? Or do you have any recommendations for me? Let me know!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...