Sunday, January 15, 2017

Don't Fold the Page Recommends: Non-Fiction

Sometimes I need a break from my beloved Fiction-everything and there's nothing like a good non-fiction title to get me motivated. Here are just a few titles that I've read recently:



How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran 

What it is: A memoir intertwined with essays about everything from fashion to abortion. 
Why you should read it: Say whatever you want about Caitlin Moran but she's fearless. She will tell you her opinion, regardless of how controversial it might be, and do it with wit and intelligence. Even though I don't agree with everything she had to say in this book, I loved that it made me think about so many different issues. 

Add it on Goodreads




Girl Up by Laura Bates

What it is: An Illustrated guide containing everything about being a young woman. 
Why you should read it: This is a fantastic guide that feels like your best friend is giving you advice. Laura Bates is HILARIOUS and she touches some delicate subjects without sugar coating anything. This is the book that I wish I could've had when I was a teenager and, even though I read it in my late twenties, I still got a lot out of it. 

Add it on Goodreads




Girls & Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape by Peggy Orenstein

What it is: A study about girls and sex, which includes interviews with a number of young women.
Why you should read it: Even though this book is bright pink and it's called Girls & Sex, this would make an excellent gift to any young man. I say this because many of the stories are centered around sexism and the difficulties women face today. While women can get a lot out of it, imagine if a guy reads this before he starts dating. I think it would make all the difference. 

Add it on Goodreads




Brave Enough by Cheryl Strayed 

What it is: A collection of inspirational quotes. 
Why you should read it: I don't know about you but I love quotes. I love to be able to find inspiration or to draw wisdom from a sentence or two. I usually end up finding the best ones out of the blue but this book contains so many gorgeous ones. 



Add it on Goodreads  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...