Friday, August 14, 2015

Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

307 pages
Expected publication: September 1st 2015 
Published by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 5/5
This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.
You know when you pick up a book at random and then it turns into the best book you've ever read so you stay up all night to finish it but then you don't want it to end? Everything, Everything is that kind of book. 


Eighteen-year-old Madeline is allergic to the world. She has been locked in her house since she was a baby. So what happens when the boy next door makes her want more? Beautiful heartbreak, that's what. 

Honestly, I've never felt so happy that a publisher accepted my request. I knew I wanted to send them flowers and my firstborn child pretty early on, probably 20% in (yes, this book is THAT good). Usually, I make a list of the ARCs that I really enjoyed so I can buy a finished copy at some point. This book didn't make the list...because I can't wait to buy a copy. I've never wanted a finished copy so much in my life. I want to cherish this book forever. I want to reread it every year. I want to pass it on to friends and force strangers to read it. I want to write poetry about it. I want to embrace it and never let it go.  I'm so in love with it that I can hardly contain myself. 

Just in case you're on the fence (come on, people!) the MC is half Japanese and half African American. Diversity! How awesome is that? Besides, this book is so unique. It even has gorgeous illustrations done by the author's husband. And the way the story develops....


Unexpected doesn't even cover it. 

I'm sure Everything, Everything will be the best book of the year for a lot of people. It definitely deserves all the love. Now, Nicola Yoon, is it too soon to ask for your next novel? 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...