Monday, June 8, 2015

Review: Manhattan Mayhem: New Crime Stories from Mystery Writers of America

320 pages
Expected publication: June 2nd 2015 
Published by: Quirk Books
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3/5
Best-selling suspense novelist Mary Higgins Clark invites you on a tour of Manhattan’s most iconic neighborhoods in this anthology of all-new stories from the Mystery Writers of America. From the Flatiron District (Lee Child) and Greenwich Village (Jeffery Deaver) to Little Italy (T. Jefferson Parker) and Chinatown (S.J. Rozan), you’ll encounter crimes, mysteries, and riddles large and small. Illustrated with iconic photography of New York City and packaged in a handsome hardcover, Manhattan Mayhem is a delightful read for armchair detectives and armchair travelers alike!
Let me start off by saying that this book is gorgeous. The design is impeccable. Everything from the hardback itself to the gorgeous photographs throughout is eye-catching. The attention to detail is ridiculously beautiful so I can't praise the design team enough. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I just want to stare at it all day. 

Anyway, this beauty was born as a way to celebrate the 70th birthday of Mystery Writers of America. Every story featured in the book is set in an iconic Manhattan neighborhood.  Now, all my Manhattan knowledge comes from TV and movies so I was super excited to dive in. 

Since this is an anthology, I enjoyed some stories more than others. I decided to give it three stars out of five because there's no way to judge the stories individually and still come up with an overall rating. I felt like it was so evenly split that a 3/5 rating really gives you an idea of what to expect. I think it starts off stronger than it finishes but I enjoyed the stories and the way they brought that particular location to life. I've always been a huge fan of this genre but I kind of abandoned it in the last couple of years. I'm glad this brought that love back.  

Overall, I can see this being a great gift for someone who enjoys either mystery or the island of Manhattan. The presentation alone makes it a winner and the good stories (there are many) make up for the weaker ones.

Goodreads  ~  Amazon 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...