Saturday, May 9, 2015

Review: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs

208 pages
Expected publication: May 12th 2015 
Published by: Quirk Books
Source: Publisher
Rating: 5/5
Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.
This handbook is as fun as it looks. It is packed with wonderful things like convention tips, fandom insight, and recommendations that every geeky girl will love. I found it to be very helpful and fun, regardless of which fandom you might be part of (WHOVIANS FTW).  


I loved how much I learned from it as well. I thought I knew everything about being a geek but Maggs introduced me to TV shows, movies, books, and websites that I've been obsessing over for weeks. Also, I've never been to a convention so I'm sure I'll find that section of the book very helpful in the future. I've been struggling with being both 26 years old *weeps* and super geeky but this handbook taught me that buying that Tardis dress is perfectly okay. So, thank you, Sam! 

If the wonderful geeky info has you on the fence, the illustrations will win you over. They are gorgeous! And the naked book is beyond beautiful. This adds a different level of magic to the handbook. 



I think Sam Maggs is my new favorite human being. She's witty, smart, geeky, AND her hair is fantastic. Basically, I need her to be my best friend. In the meantime, I'm going to push people into buying this book so we can all fangirl together. 


Note: If you can't wait to own this gorgeous book, you might want to join the pre-order campaign! Signed bookplates, buttons, posters, and a very epic Fangirl’s Convention Survival Kit are all up for grabs
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...