Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Review: Breakaway: Beyond the Goal by Alex Morgan

304 pages
Expected publication: June 2nd 2015 
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Edelweiss
Rating: 4/5 
Get inspired to be your best; in sports and in life; with this uplifting memoir from star soccer player and Olympic gold medalist Alex Morgan that includes eight pages of full-color photos as well as book jacket that doubles as a poster!
As a talented and successful female athlete, Alex Morgan is a role model to thousands of girls who want to be their best, not just in soccer, but in other sports and in life. The story of her path to success, from playing in the 2011 Women's World Cup, to winning gold in the 2012 London Olympics, to ranking as one of the National Team's top scorers, will inspire everyone who reads it. 
From her beginnings with the American Youth Soccer Organization to her key role in the 2015 Women's World Cup, Alex shares the details that made her who she is today: a fantastic role model and athlete who proudly rocks a pink headband.

Football is one of my biggest passions...which is why I was beyond shocked when I found out Alex Morgan's memoir was about to come out and I had no idea! In case you don't know, I've been following the USWNT since I was a child. Football was kind of taboo for women when I was younger so I got very attached to the women's team as a way to be like "See? Women are into sports! And they're amazing! Football is not just for boys!" 

But anyway, back to Morgan. 


Since we're roughly the same age (I'm a year older), I've seen every stage of Alex Morgan's career. I think one of the reasons I'm such a big fan is because I've been able to see her grow into the fantastic player she is today. I remember seeing her explode on the field as a sub and thinking that she was going to be huge one day. I love it when I'm right. 

In this book, Morgan takes you on a tour of her very short but thrilling life. In a way, the writing style is very chatty so you feel like you're catching up with a friend. This works really well since this book is aimed at a younger audience.  Even though I am familiar with her career, this book provides a fantastic behind-the-scenes look. Morgan also gives the reader a lot of basic but good advice. I took away a lot from this book and I felt very inspired to become a better version of myself. 

The release of this book is perfectly timed to coincide with a huge event. Starting June 6, the USWNT are competing in Canada in the hopes of winning the World Cup.  You better believe I'll be watching every minute of it. 

If you like sports or if you want to support a female athlete, pick up this book! Since Alex mentioned (in great detail) the Olympic match versus Canada, I'm going to spend all afternoon looking for that exhilarating game because: 


Enough said. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...