Thursday, January 30, 2014

Flash Review - January Edition


More Than This by Patrick Ness


What I liked about it: This one must be the most confusing novel I've ever read. However, that made me love it so much more. I wasn't prepared for everything that happened in this book--trust me, it is an adventure--so you'll love the twists and turns and the unpredictable nature of this novel. 
What I didn't like about it: I had a hard time getting into the story at first. Once you really immerse yourself in the story, there's no way you'll be able to put it down.
Similar to: This one is so unique I'm having a hard time comparing it to another novel. Just read anything by Patrick Ness. That man is a genius. 


Don't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala


What I liked about it: This story is beautiful. The characters are complex and interesting. I love how the themes of the book---homeless teens and abuse--are represented in such a raw and heartbreaking way. 
What I didn't like about it: The ending is weak compared to the rest of the story. I'm not a fan of stories that tie every loose end, especially in books with such a strong message. 
Similar to: Easy by Tammara Webber, The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, and Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. 





What I liked about it:  I really enjoyed some elements of this story: strong female character, good world building, and possibly one of my favorite male characters (Chaol).
What I didn't like about it: It had a lot less action than I was expecting. And it took me over a month to read. That's a deal breaker right there. 
Similar to: Graceling by Kristin Cashore, Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands #1) by Sarah Fine, and Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor.





What I liked about it: I took a piracy class in college and I really enjoyed putting that knowledge to use. 
What I didn't like about it: To be honest, this one really made me uncomfortable. Some scenes---including rape and animal abuse--were really tough to read.
Similar to: This is the first Pirate Fiction I've ever read so I can't recommend another. However, a good non-fiction read is If a Pirate I Must Be: The True Story of Black Bart, "King of the Caribbean Pirates" by Richard Sanders. 





The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

What I liked about it: I loved every single page. The Rosie Project touched my heart in so many ways. Don Tillman is by far the most interesting characters I've ever come across. His voice is so unique and remarkably witty. I'm familiar with Asperger's and I think Graeme Simsion did a really fantastic job at representing Don's world and the way his brain functions. His behavioral patterns and his social interactions were fascinating to read. As far as the plot itself, I enjoyed it immensely. It was light, funny, and heartwarming. I can't wait to read more novels from this author in the future
What I didn't like about it: Honestly, this one is a five star novel for me. 
Similar to: This novel is not YA but I'll compare it to Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell--based on the feel-good awesomeness--and I think it is a perfect Contemporary novel for any John Green fan. 




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...