Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Author Spotlight: A.S. King


The other day I was doing what I do best: scrolling through the YA section of Book Outlet.  I found a scratch & dent copy of Please Ignore Vera Dietz for about $1.99.  I was aware of A. S. King but I never bothered picking up one of her books. After doing some research on Goodreads and Amazon, I ended up buying that copy and hoping for the best. Now, fast-forward a few days to a Saturday afternoon.  I didn't know what to read next so I stood in front of my bookcase and picked up the first book that caught my eye: Please Ignore Vera Dietz. Best decision ever.  I am now a hardcore fan of King.  I was still reading PIVD when I ordered Ask the Passengers and Everybody Sees the Ants. So, why do I love her so much?

1) Realistic characters: I was really impressed by the likability factor of the main characters in Please Ignore Vera Dietz and Ask the Passengers (I haven't read Everybody Sees the Ants yet). I honestly love them both. They are so relatable and their lives & the people around them are multilayered and captivating.

2) The writing: A.S. King's writing is phenomenal. It is clever, beautiful, fluid, complex, and emotionally charged. It is sprinkled with so many little unique details and it always feels like a mature take on YA.  It is humorous and influential. It is socially conscious and relatable. It is art.

3) The stories: Do you know that feeling you get when you finish a great book? Like you want to hold on to it forever? And share it with friends and family? And talk about it nonstop? Because it was so great? That's what I feel when I read A.S. King. I feel great.

Her new book, Reality Boy, is out now. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy. And while you're at it, buy all of her other works (most of which are on sale on Book Outlet!). You'll treasure them forever.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...