Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review: Escaping Reality (The Secret Life of Amy Bensen #1) by Lisa Renee Jones


Publisher: Julie Patra Publishing
Publication Date: Jul 22 2013 
Format: Kindle Edition, 250 pages 

Infinite possibilities….
Infinite passion…..
Infinite danger….

His touch spirals through me, warm and sweet, wicked and hot. I shouldn’t trust him. I shouldn’t tell him my secrets. But how do I not when he is the reason I breathe? He is what I need.


At the young age of eighteen, tragedy and a dark secret force Lara to flee all she has known and loves to start a new life. Now years later, with a new identity as Amy, she’s finally dared to believe she is forgotten–even if she cannot forget. But just when she lets down her guard, the ghosts of her past are quick to punish her, forcing her back on the run. 

On a plane, struggling to face the devastation of losing everything again and starting over, Amy meets Liam Stone, a darkly entrancing recluse billionaire, who is also a brilliant, and famous, prodigy architect. A man who knows what he wants and goes after it. And what he wants is Amy. Refusing to take “no” as an answer, he sweeps her into a passionate affair, pushing her to her erotic limits. He wants to possess her. He makes her want to be possessed. Liam demands everything from her, accepting nothing less. But what if she is too devastated by tragedy to know when he wants more than she should give? And what if there is more to Liam than meets the eyes?
Escaping Reality is about expecting the unexpected, running away so often that you forget who you are along the way, and possessive and powerful intimacy. This is unfamiliar territory for me. I have never read anything like this before so it took me a little while to get comfortable. Even though the writing felt like fanfiction at times, if we focus solely on the story, it was fast-paced and entertaining. Beware, the sex is explicit and very much based on domination tactics. The beauty of this book--and what takes it from an erotica to an entertaining and interesting novel--is the suspense aspect of the story. The mystery is done so well that you feel paranoid along with Amy. The idea of being completely exposed and vulnerable is both terrifying and absolute brilliant because it works so well with the sex side of the story. They complement each other perfectly.

The characters are good, nothing too unique or completely out of the box but still interesting and complex. I think the mystery part of the story made me proceed with caution and I didn't allow myself to become overly attached to any of the characters. Liam Stone is possessive, and frankly kind of too intense for my liking but his personality works with Amy's. She has deprived herself of so much over the years that the instant connection with a complete stranger is understandable. While she is not weak, I felt like she is vulnerable and lost.

Overall, Escaping Reality is an intense page turner that will keep you up until you finish it. And rest assure, you'll be counting down the days until you can get your hands on the second one because this novel has the mother of all cliffhangers.

Note: A copy of this title was provided to me for free via NetGalley.

  Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...